View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
For the car:
The car is where I would like to strip off a few hundred pounds and move some weight from the front to the rear to get closer to 50/50 weight distribution with out hurting drive ability or safety.
Mods that are out are:
Removing carpet and padding, been there done that, no thanks.
Relocating battery to the rear trunk area. For some reason my rear bumper attracts drunk or distracted drivers so there is no way I am putting the battery next to the fuel tank in what would be the "crush zone".
I am not cutting out support structures, such as the frame rail around the door.
Not replacing side windows or wind shield with lexan.

Planned mods for weight loss among other things:
Cast iron small block chevy to aluminum LSx engine swap, good for at least -120lb (and +200 hosepower, +5mpg)
PA racing tubular K-member for LS engine swaps, with coil over conversion, with rack and pinion conversion good for -50lb
Front lower control arms for a coil over conversion -20lb
Converting to rack and pinion -30lb (not sold on this one yet)

Weight loss and hail proofing:
Repairing T-tops with broken glass I have with carbon fiber, -10lb (each side) and it would look cool.
Swap the rear window to lexan, -20 to -30lb
(I hear the hail in NM breaks a lot of glass T-tops and rear windows, if I can sell the rear glass this could be very cheap to do)
Replace lead acid battery with a lithium starting battery and relocate under the rear seat for -30lb
Replace stock steel hood with Daytona IROC style fiber glass, its the only visual mod I have ever cared for and it would be good for at least -30lb
(The hood would also be nearly hail proof, plus I can sell my old hood making this a fairly cheap mod too)