View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Very interesting. Thanks. How did you come across these?
An intellectual education.

A definition of what's constitutes literacy is [10] books per year not concerned with ones livelihood, nor cookbooks, self-help, etc. Literature, in other words; science, history, etc. I tend to read 4-5 books per week. And have for closing in on 40-years.

When one reads an influential book (say, Hedges on the liberal class) and the bibliography consists of books one has also read it tends to make for associations, that, over time (and many, many books) lead one to other fine writers and authors one might once have ignored. Even familiar ones read in a new light. Hope you enjoyed those two above as I have.

Mortimer Adler makes the arguments much better than I. The book here referenced should be the basis of any beginning education as an adult.

What to read is not nearly so important as how to read. With that, much is illuminated from the minds older crevices: a recent essay and one recalled from long-ago college. The mind is a more capacious tool than we recognize.

While on that note, the Fuel Crisis Pinto from C&D Magazine, IIRC, was one I read as current way-back when. The great thing about a forum such as this is to recall those older tidbits and re-learn attitudes towards driving plus express the genuine admiration for the DIY work seen here. The citations of Hucho, et. al. starts to get beyond me. But, with help, even guys like me will benefit.

Last edited by slowmover; 08-31-2011 at 03:44 PM..