View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #42 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
My money isn't going in the trash. Most of my money goes when the mail comes, for the utility, tax, and insurance bills. After that is gasoline expense, even though I hardly buy any! Then food. Yes I have gone through the budget almost down to the penny for several months to find out where it goes. Many of us would be surprised. Even I, who have been tracking this stuff for years, find it surprising that my bare-bones and economical driving still ranks as a top expense. I guess that's because the rest of my budget is even more bare bones!

Re: trash: I separate out the glass, cans, and plastics; the burnables go in the burn barrel. I only have to empty out the recyclable trash can 2-4x/year!

Someone made a comment about buying the thinnest shingles available. Perhaps that's OK if you are planning on selling soon. Otherwise I think the best strategy is to buy quality. The roof on my place is the original- put on in '68. It's totally due for replacement but isn't leaking yet. I think I'm going to buy quality for the replacement; perhaps then the job won't need to be done again for another 43 years.