View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
JasonG
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
I saw a job where at the end of the project, Rigid 600 threaders ($1400 ish) were thrown in a dumpster along with other tools.
It was cheaper to dumpster them and list as a project cost than catalog, box up, store and ship to the next project.
Back in the 80s residential boom, for every 5 houses built, enough "overage" was dumped to build a 6th one. You should've seen the house I was living in. Most of that scrap got picked up

When my dad worked for Bell, they use rope once to pull underground feeders in. Maybe twice if it is clean and looks good. Then it gets thrown out. The rope is cheaper than the labor if it breaks mid-pull.

Shall I continue ?

We are forbid from reusing wire nuts. Sometimes the spring part gets damaged or falls out. Again, its cheaper to toss them than track down an open circuit.

If I went through all the items on construction projects that get tossed due to it being cheaper than the labor for cleaning, sorting, storing, transporting, etc it would only waste more electrons.

Shall I go on about how in food service, once it leaves the counter, even if wrapped, it must be tossed.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!