View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
graydonengineering
EcoModding Apprentice

Frontier 2wd 2.4L 5 speed - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 27.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbywan View Post
Nice work on the belly pans graydone. I fabbed pans for the entire length of my 25 foot RV and have not seen an increase yet, but I suspect I've got the frontal air restricted too much creating a bigger bow wave maybe. Nice job on covering the differential with the floating coroplast, I'm going to try something similar with the RV. After seeing your photos for boxing off the wheel wells I like that idea and will try that as well.

Since I've got dual rear wheels I'm hoping that fairings on the duallies and up front, along with the rest will show some gains for these mods. I'm going to wait a while for those mods, though, I also live in Tucson and I'm tired of working in this heat.

I have a thought for you. Now that you're seeing good results from this, have you thought about a boat tail? The boat tail on my RV resulted in an average gain so far of 25% +. I'm guessing this vehicle was so horrible aerodynamically you might not see gains that high with the Frontier, but I bet it would be worth your while.

If you added a receiver type hitch, you could build the tail so it mounts via the hitch receiver, so you could remove it easily and quickly. To be the most effective, you'd probably need to add a cab-high shell to your truck, but those are pretty inexpensive. Anyway, just a thought. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for your compliments! I too am sick of the heat and I am putting off major mod work for now. At least till the highs are well bellow 100. I do have a cap on the truck now that is very smooth and the same height as the cab with windowless sides. I have considered adding a boat tail, maybe a simple one. Maybe something that would work with an open tail gate and open canopy. Right now, I still have more work on my belly dam and some rear wheel skirts. After all that, I will have to see how it goes.

What part of Tucson do you live? I am on the far east in Rita Ranch. If you want to check the truck out in person some time, send me a pm. I work near the airport.

Best 15-mile commute city/highway mix: 37.7 mpg
Best tank so far: 31 mpg