View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...somebody has been doing his homework.
Thanks but feel free to double check my work. I've been known to make a mistake from time-to-time . . . just ask my wife. <grins>

I forgot to include that the NHW11 Prius electrical load measures ~450 W. If I can't get at least this amount, I will consider the project impractical. 'Orange4Boy' and his Hill Billy, 12 V, plug-in has already given some measure of the effect of off-loading the 12 V load.

BTW, I understand GM's "eco-mode," their current BAS system, uses a 15 kW, modified motor-generator (redesigned alternator.) I had briefly considered but rejected trying to adapt an auto alternator. Most of the specs I've found show a maximum rpm in the 7,500 rpm range. It may be possible to use just the stator and build out a custom rotor and high-speed bearings. But the large diameter rotor limits how fast practical materials can spin and increases the moment of inertia which means very slow response to turbine power. But I may revisit this depending upon how the initial testing comes out.

Bob Wilson