View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
Is there any insight 1 in Scotland ? At what price ?

I can barely imagine any 1000L diesel being more ecological than your gasoline car. Today no diesel is as clean as a 2000 prius or a 2000 insight... It all depends on your ecological sensibility and the ecological problem you want to solve :
  • lower CO2 emissions/dinosaur juice consumption for cooler atmosphere in 50 years
  • lower pollutants (particles/NOX) emissions for better air nowadays

CO2 can be lowered by hypermiling/ecomodding
You can emit a lot more pollutants by racing your car, but hypermiling/ecomodding will not have as much impact than for consumption.

Now if this is about saving money only then a spreadsheet is your best friend, depending also on your mechanical skills.

Denis, saving money one tank at a time to buy a Prius that will generate much less pollutants but cost a little more per distance.
Which way you choose depends, as you tap, on your view. In this case I think the focus is on reducing fuel usage and cost rather than on reducing CO2 - but the OP can answer that one directly.

CO2 being a problem or not is a whole different debate, and it may go into politics (I have reputation for this so I will go no further...)

As for the Mk1 Insight I have seen 2 in the UK (they were both the same colour and in Scotland so it may have been the same one twice...) they are rare - very. There is apparently an expert on them and especially the batteries used who is based in the UK but I haven't researched it more than knowing this.

I did do a search when I was looking for a car recently and found a couple on Autotrader and one on e-bay and they are spendy for what is really a tiny Honda.

On reflection though 320, that would make an interesting project if you could fine one ? Not for under 1K though I would wager.