View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
basslover911
Master EcoModder

Silver Turtle - '02 Ford Focus Zx3
90 day: 38.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
You can get an induced current and produce a bit of heat as well, a stationary magnet is going to do nothing, the magnetic fields need to move in order for it to do anything, the motion can be mechanical, or by using alternating current with an electro-magnet.

Just saw the image that you posted in your first post... no, that will not work, not like that, the circuit is open, there is no closure, it's like an open switch, remove the glass and use conductive magnets and it would work.

But the big questions is... why? what are you trying to do?
I want to make an aquarium pump that doesn't have the cable hanging out the fish tank. So simply cut off the ac cable that all pumps have and "pass it" through the glass without drilling it.

I see this is possible with "inductive charging" like all electric toothbrushes have, but i don't quite understand them. If there are two coils, exactly like one another (like in my drawing) would they both produce the same magnetic field? (all the DIY "inductive chargers" I find have all these diodes and capacitors to make them resonate at the same frequency... but i dont get why if instead you can just make both coils the same exact size...)?