View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
steensn -

Daox is on the money. I don't think the IAT resistor mod will work because the ECU/PCM will normally be in "closed loop" mode. In that mode, the IAT sensor value is *ignored* in favor of the oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor is used to try to keep the engine at the stoichiometric ratio of 14.7/1 (14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel).

Instead of doing the resistor mod, you can build an HAI/WAI (Hot/Warm-Air-Intake), where you route the input air in from the exhaust manifold. In that way, the engine will be getting "real" hot air that has a real effect on the oxygen sensor.

There is an experiment I need to finish where I hope to prove this behavior, but I have been too lazy to do it.

PS - The corollary to this is the "performance" resistor mod, where you put a bias on the IAT signal to make the ECU/PCM think it is getting cold air. I think this works because under *performance* driving conditions, you are typically driving at WOT (wide open throttle). Under WOT, the ECU/PCM will switch to open loop mode and use the IAT sensor to determine how much fuel to put in.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society