View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Kodak
Master EcoModder

Canyon - '07 GMC Canyon 2wd regular cab
90 day: 24.95 mpg (US)
Hmm. Well, the EPA changed some data in 2008. So we have old tests and new tests. The new tests are supposed to account for increased congestion and more typical driving habits. If you've been driving with FE in mind - even just casually - you are probably going to be closer to the old estimates, which give slightly higher mpg. I suspect this is the source of the discrepancy.

Keep in mind also that the EPA estimates are based on a very specific and repeatable set of conditions (acceleration, speed, braking, etc.) that won't correlate perfectly with the real world.

Now, if you're going by driver estimates you hear in forums, make sure there is some real data there. I mean, make sure the person actually calculates their mpg at the pump. I have heard that some of today's real time FE readouts (this probably doesn't apply to the Camaro, but generally speaking) are known to be a bit generous in the figures they give.

Some drivers just straight up estimate, which is fine if that's their preference, but it's not terribly useful when hard numbers are required for comparisons and when drivers have different perceptions of what qualifies as 'city' driving. It's all relative.

Hope I got some good points in all that rambling.