View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Here goes. I've been drawing streamlined cars in my sketchbook for over six months now and it's time to make something of it. My plan here is to make a production possible four seat automobile that flaunts its aerodynamics instead of disguising them like the Prius and other contemporary hypermiler vehicles. (Something like a 4 seat EV1)

Here is a tiny sketch I did in my sketchbook. I can't really go too far drawing it because 2D=/=3D. The idea is like a Tatra 77: the body splits the air up and down, and the greenhouse splits it side to side.

Very open to suggestions before I get too far in the model!
Proportions indicate it's like a rounded Aztek with a boattail, size-wise, and with less rear seat headroom and impossibly big wheels. It does not appear to me to be like a stretched EV1 except if you were simply commenting about the aero styling. The sketch is not communicating the classic Jaray form the text describes i.e. two "airfoil" body components, the lower one oriented horizontally and the upper vertically. The styling line at the base of the greenhouse would need to grow heavier as it goes aft instead of fading out. The sketch looks nice tho'

As far as the lower airfoil form splitting the air up and down, Hucho describes wind tunnel tests of bullet shaped front ends; some with the stagnation point up high, towards the middle, and down low. The lowest drag came from the "down low" stagnation point, so if one was to go that route the sketch's nose "point" needs to drop down until it's like the old GM Dustbuster minivans except rounded.

The low stagnation point is my personal preference but then there is the Avion and the rest of the WSU cars with their noses way up in the air and claims for low Cd...