Thread: Project MPG
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
HighMPG
EcoModding Apprentice

Super Duty - '12 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Long Bed Super-Cab
90 day: 15.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
Just a couple things i thought of while reading your post:

1. Feathering the throttle is a typical rookie mistake, it's the brake pedal you need to learn to avoid. (There are threads about how to accelerate).

2. Unless you have a misfire, boosting the ignition system isn't going to give meaningful improvement. (That includes exotic plugs)

3. Increased tire pressure should be on your list, it's cheap, easy, and effective.

And welcome.
Thanks for the pointers, I was already reading hypermillers coast and circle or find a spot you can coast into. I used to own a bmw with one of those MPG readers so I had an idea, feathering the throttle is not a rookie mistake but part of saving gas. I can just use a light throttle all day and brake as I wish and will still be saving gas compared to my normal driving which includes putting the pedal to the metal! lol

I believe any improvement is a good improvement, . Bigger bang at any current throttle position will give much better combustion and cleaner possibly?
I am not doing anything right now except giving it light throttle and yes, it causes me to use the brakes less and catch the lights here in Oakland, CA.
I am taking the same trips, 70% city 30% highway and just using less throttle and brakes. Maybe I didn't mention that but you should know that goes hand in hand typically.

And the tire pressure Idea I will put into effect once I burn this tank of gas off. thanks for the pointers tho. I actually need to buy a whole new set for the rainy season, if it ever comes.

Good Bye Insight Hello 6.7 Diesel Truck!
**My First Hybrid Insight**

Last edited by HighMPG; 09-13-2011 at 04:28 PM..