View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
steensn
EcoModding Lurker

The Hulk - '96 Ford Aspire Base
90 day: 51.64 mpg (US)

Black Hole - '06 Kia Rio LX
90 day: 39.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to steensn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGrey View Post
That's correct. Racers do the resistor mod because they race at WOT, which is open loop mode. Your IAT is ignored in closed loop operation where fuel is concerned. This mod is worthless, so don't waste your time.

Worst case scenario is about 25% more NOX emissions than at stock levels. Leaner than a certain point, and they get lower again. Hydrocarbons also drop when leaning out, so the tradeoff in pollutants is not worth fretting over.

Also, don't try resistors or offsets on a narrowband O2 sensor. It's essentially a digital device.
I was going to take a look at the sensor that is running on my 1996 Aspire. Anyone have a data sheet on the O2 sensor for a 96 aspire?

Either way, there has to be a way to fool the engine ECU to a certain level to make it run clean. The other option is to get a $550 dollar SW hardware package for a laptop to make it run leaner, but I don't want to spend that kinda money.

This isn't impossible, but all you are saying is do it on the O2 sensors instead of the intake as long as you do the mod correct for your sensor. I still see a benifit of being able to run leaner at any given air temp so that you can take it one step further than a HAI, isn't this what the sport is all about?

People are putting pizza pie pans instead of hubcaps to maybe get .5 mpg change... this is obviously has a better potential for improvement than that.

2006 Kia Rio

1996 Ford Aspire