View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #507 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

The rules are fairly clear here too - you just have to find a traffic cop (never seen on one the bypass) who can be bothered to enforce them.

My other moan - the cops have been replaced by "Incident Support Officers" who do (as far as I can tell) f**k all. Today there was a breakdown on the bypass (2 lanes) so the left (nearside) one was blocked and traffic had to merge which it does badly in the UK - so there were long queues and loads of Audis trying to run right up to the blockage and wondering why nobody wanted to let them in...

When I got to the "breakdown" it was a VW Camper, which was already parked on the verge - so actually it was not blocking the road at all. The lane was actually blocked by the "Incident Support Officer" vehicle - a large van / truck parked in the nearside lane with flashing orange lights.

I noticed that this vehicle had a tow-bar, so of course I wondered why they just didn't tow the broken down vehicle out of the way. But then I remembered that the only thing blocking a lane was the vehicle warning us about the breakdown which was actually not on the main roadway at all, and which was driven by the same people who would be using the tow bar.

So maybe asking the muppets organising this chaos to work out what a tow bar is for would be tempting a disaster.

So I sat in the queue.

And realised another way in which my taxes and the uk.gov budget is being wasted...