View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #107 (permalink)
orbywan
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0gue76 View Post
Orbywan,

I was looking at the mooneye website and they had mooneye disks for chevy duallies. The centers were cut out, so if you wanted you could go to thier site and see if they have disks that would fit, or you could cut out the centers of your pizza pans. I think a little cover is better than none at all.
I've been reading so much information on all this I need to get a notebook and start writing down web site locations, authors, etc. I don't remember where I found it, but I read a paper on undercarriage air flow that said that their experimentation showed that having the front wheels 'vented' and the rear wheels blocked (as in with a wheel cover) reduced drag on the wheels by 96%.

I'm impressed on one hand and wondering if they got their data screwed up on the other. My front wheels have the stainless steel covers on them that have fake lug nuts on them, or did. I took that smaller cover off and took all the fake lug nuts off and put a plate on instead to eliminate all the nuts hanging out in the breeze. There's a joke there but I'm going to leave it alone.

I attached a photo of the modified cover, don't have a before shot, my digital camera was dead at that point.

The rest of the cover has four small holes in it to let the disc brakes breathe a little. For now I'm going to leave the front alone and put the pie pans on the rear since they claim that had such a huge effect.

Who knows what is right with a lot of this stuff. If blocking off the rear duallies has a noticeable effect, I'll try them in the front as well. Thanks for the suggestions Rogue.

I just looked at the photo I posted. There's part of the problem. The tire and wheel are covered with disc brake pad dust, the other side is clean as can be. That means the driver's side disc brakes are hanging up. Time for servicing the disc brake calipers. Oh boy, I get to get greasy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel and tire photo wb.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	9434