View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
New trailer for hauling wood

I am building a trailer for hauling wood out of the ravines to heat our home.

We have been hand carrying fire wood from downed trees to the top of steepest part of some or our woods. From there we have been loading a plastic tobaggon and dragging it behind our dirt bike. We have moved over a chord of wood this way this summer. With the slope that we have to climb skidding a full load of 100-120 pounds is all that the bike and rider can handle.

Several years ago I built a trailer to tow behind my bicycles. It is made from two bicycle forks cantilevered and a tube hooking them together. It has a 24x30" 1/4" plywood deck. I haul groceries with the bicycle and have towed it behind my honda 150 dirt bike to move salt blocks around the farm. It has been too light duty to move wood.

I decided to make a heavier duty trailer that could carry wood or a deer carcass. It is made from 3/4" square tubing, Not very heavy but I think enough for the slow speeds intended. It's outside size is 36"x55.5" with a deck of 27x54. The materials are what I have on hand.

Here is where I am at.

I am going to add another cross brace between the bicycle wheels right near the drop outs.

Then I am going to weld in a cattle panel to form the floor. Cattle panels are made from 3/16" welded steel mesh with about 4" spacing. It should have a load capacity of about 250 pounds and could be pulled with some load by a bicycle but for moving wood we are going to use the dirt bike.

Here is the trailer hitch a spherical rod end. It allows enough movement and works well on the small trailer. The hitch fits in a C shaped bracket with a bolt going through vertically

Here my small trailer is hooked to my dirt bike. Note I have moved the trailer tongue to the other side although the trailer can be flipped over

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
The Following User Says Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
Sven7 (09-16-2011)