View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Reminds me of the article in Mechanics Illustrated (long ago memory could be wrong) where the car owner used a roll of toilet paper for a filter and never changed his oil.
Article was in the early 1970s.

I have recently started going with 10k oil changes and do them myself. I use Mobil 1 and a Fram extended life oil filter. I will never add oil to these vehicles. Both have just over 30k miles and are as clean as new inside.

I had gone from dino to synthetic and was changing at 5k with no oil consumption between changes so I decided to try 10k.

I would rather change the oil than pay for an analysis. Nissan recommends having the CVT fluid analyzed and changed if necessary. I figure I will just have it changed at 60k since the analysis is almost as much as the change.

If you are trying to save 40 quarts in 100k miles by not changing your oil then I guess when you change your engine you will learn a valuable lesson. To me it's cheap insurance.

My used oil is taken to my old shop where they burn it for heat in an EPA approved waste oil heater. Other municipalities collect and use it for generating electricity.

regards
Mech