View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #196 (permalink)
re-evaluating
EcoModding Lurker

Thumbs up swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty_boy View Post
The SI wiring is going to be a little different inside the cabin than the HF, but if it has an HF engine, I assume all of the that conversion has been done correctly under the hood.
Here in lies some of the problem. None of the HF's in my area are still in stock form so I found a nice body to start my build it ended up being a 90 Si.

I previously had found an HF D15B6 engine and trans that was to be in "good original condition".

A friend was out of work he said he could do the swap and am working a ton of hours 12 hour nights so it sounded good to me. He was to do other repairs on the chassis as well all of which are completed and excellent. He told me wiring was not his strong suit ahead of time so I was kind of prepared to get some of the headaches.

He tried to start the car with the HF engine harness that was attached to the engine connected it to the Si chassis harness and that as we all now know doesn't work at all. I traced out the wiring with him and determined he needed to use the Si harness.

Well he got the engine running using the Si harness. It has several codes in it and is in limp mode best I can tell but I have only spent a short while looking into it.

Codes are 5,9, 15 I think which are cylinder position, crank position, and igniter for what it is worth.
I know these could be caused by a bad distributor (we used the TD 01U from the HF) and I am thinking that may be the problem as it is a known good. I think my buddy tried to re-pin it to work with the HF harness so that may also be it, and the first thing I look at.

Worst thing is unfortunately the motor smokes pretty bad so it seems it isn't in as "good condition" as promised.

I do plan to at least try and straighten out the issues before I do anything else but this motor will not be in for long. I don't know of anyother changes made or needed to be made to the chassis harness to make the D15B6 run in the Si chassis so input is appreciated. I have done a lot of searching but few swap this direction almost no one it seems.

I had been considering the 3 stage swap for a while so I may move in that direction sooner than expected.

If anyone has any thoughts about my issues I can start another thread or someone can pm me. Any and all information and thoughts are appreciated.

thanks Dave

Last edited by re-evaluating; 09-18-2011 at 09:46 AM..