View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Desert,

If you'll go to Discount Tire's web site (Sponsored Listings), they have a place where you can input your vehicle. If you follow that, eventually you'll get to a place where it will tell you the original tire size on the vehicle you inputted - AND - there's a button below that: "View Optional/Plus Tire Sizes" - which will tell you what they think also fits. They base this on physical measurements of the vehicle and not guesswork. If they say it fits, I would take it that they know it will fit. - and if they don't list a particular tire size, I think you can assume it will NOT fit - for whatever reason.

Word of Caution: They do NOT take into account the rim currently on the vehicle - so if your car came with - say - 15" rims, they may list tire sizes that are too wide (or too narrow) for the rims. This is something that has to be checked.

I did your vehicle (I assumed it was a 1990!) and it looks like they get different answers between vehicles that came with 12" and ones that came with 13"! The fact that they make this distinction would seem to point to some difference, so I would be very careful in this area.

Also, the actual physical size of a tire can vary quite a bit. That is, you can NOT assume that a tire is built exactly to the "size" indicated by the size designation. Tire Rack has specs on every tire they sell. The important dimensions are width and overall diameter. Unfortunately Discount Tire's web site doesn't seem to list the actual specs.

And one last word of caution: You have to be concerned about wheel offset. This can completely change the picture. I assume that Discount Tire's list is for rims that have the proper offset.
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
DesertTortoise (11-08-2011)