View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Blu3Z3rg
EcoModding Lurker

2005 Dakota - '05 Dodge Dakota SLT
90 day: 15.26 mpg (US)
It also depends on temperatures of the engine and outside.
If your engine is getting so warm that it is reducing timing or feeding extra fuel in order to decrease temperatures, then you would be better off with a CAI. This would be the case if it's 90* outside and you have a full grill block.

If it's 40* outside and you have no blocks... a HAI is obviously the choice. Faster warmups will be key here.

REALLY IMPORTANT!!!!! The best improvement in BOTH cases is simply correct construction. There are calculators out there on the interwebs that can help you calculate correct length and diameters of your intake. If this is done correctly, you can worry about having it be a HAI/CAI after that.

Also... What I do, since here in Chicago areas, we have -20 in winter and 120 in summer, I simply made a shield (currently under development and testing) to block or allow engine heat. I also made it so it keeps my engine computer cool in all conditions since it's near the intake that I have made.

So far.... seems that a combination is the best solution for me. My truck gets too hot in the summer, and since I tow often enough, a HAI is just not an option during the summer.