View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
My church has "Wednesday Night Workshops" in step with the school year. The first installment started last week, and since they liked the fuel efficiency idea that I pitched a while back, they let me teach one. Two people showed up. One guy I would characterize as somewhat of a gearhead. The other fella doesn't know a spark plug from a crescent wrench, but he's very intellectual. Not a bad audience, really.

I've decided to organize each weekly session into four basic catagories;
General Information, Driving Techniques, Common Myths, and Vehicle Modifications.

Last week I started out with How To Compute Your MPGs (General Info).

Then I talked about how to use the car smarter to save gas, (Driving Techniques) like consolidating errands, and using the more efficient or warmed up vehicle if given a choice, etc. Then I presented the crazy concept of slowing down. This was received with less resistance than I anticipated. Or maybe they were just being polite. I'm gonna hit it every session.

For Myths, I asked them what they have heard about what gets better mileage, and we came up with a pretty decent list. We covered a few (intake turbulators, fuel line magnets) and saved a few that I want to cover in more detail next week (HHO, pickup tailgates, and windows vs. AC).

For Vehicle Modifications I talked about tire pressure, weight reduction, and synthetic oil.

For "homework" I assigned them to calculate a tankful's MPG, and check their tire pressure.

Next week I plan on covering Newtons Laws of Motion, DWB, Scangauges/Ultragauges, and grille blocks.

I hope they come back.

Last edited by Tango Charlie; 09-18-2011 at 10:30 PM..