View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
Is that ecomodder-normal driving, or normal people driving? There is a bit of a difference
EPA rating is 52mpg highway, My last tank of gas on my civic VX was 55mpg, normal driving, part of it with 3 people in the car, part of it with letting my dad drive, part of it with a friend of mine who needed to barrow a car using it however they drive and the rest of it was with me hauling stuff around, I thought that with letting others drive it that my mileage my drop, but it stayed the same.

If you folks think that installing larger exhaust will help, why doesn't the math and science behind exhaust design and sizing agree? bottom line is that exhaust flow is in pulses so "free flowing" and "back pressure" doesn't hold true like it does if you were a plumber.
The only advantage if larger exhaust that I've seen is that it's louder so you can feel and hear better when you are giving it to much gas, allowing you to fine tune your driving style, beyond that there is no math to back up claims that it will help mileage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
mcrews (09-20-2011)