View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #55 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I thought about JQmile’s diesel Chevette…briefly. It had some plusses and minuses.

Minus. Actually being in good condition militates against using it as a project. I have a line on a VERY rare GM MPG effort from the 70s. A 1979 Olds Cutlass with a 260 diesel V-8 and 5 speed manual. Only twenty were made. Guy wants $11,000 for it (3 times sticker). Its in fabulous shape for a 79. Texas car. Garage kept bought from an estate auction. Probably 34-35 MPG as she sets.

The other minus is 36 HP. This car is useless for anything but slow driving. A city car as much as a straight battery car.

Sometimes, they are too nice.
??? I always thought they made the inline 4.3 diesel 6 banger as the best FE birds, but I also have always seen them with 4 speed sticks if they have a stick. GM also made a very rare 4 banger 2.8 diesel in that timeframe.

From what I have heard the 6 banger olds diesel was the most reliable they made because they put on the right number of head bolts. It also could come transverse and FWD

I always wanted one but never could find one that both ran and had a stick.

Also the inline 6 should be easily capable stock without special driving of about 40mpg, I would guess your v8 varient would as well. With a decent transmission (that didn't originally come with the car) the 350v8 olds would get mid 30's highway. Our Chiropracter got about that with his. Also there are a handfull of new and old 350 olds diesel suburbans still around, they typically (once outfitted with an 700r4 overdrive transmission) get in the mid 20's with one guy and a 93 burb converted averaging about 28mpg just by changing the rear end differential. I should hope the more frugal motors could beat this set of numbers by a lot.

Also I doubt the 39hp unless the thing isn't in the best of operating condition, even the 4.3 6 cylinders would put out about 70hp (and lots of smoke) The 350 olds was always derated to 95hp ish because of head problems but could also output around 125hp if you liked replacing head bolts a lot and being very carefull about how long you did it.

If you ever find a line on an inline 6 olds diesel car that both runs and has a stick let me know, I might take it out for a spin.

I also always wanted a FWD 5sp diesel Chevette but they are very hard to find only being made in the last year or so.

Cheers
Ryan