View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #56 (permalink)
JQmile
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I thought about JQmile’s diesel Chevette…briefly. It had some plusses and minuses.

On the plus side it already got fine MPG despite horrible aero. It was light. The car was (apparently) about as good as it ever was. CA cars shouldn’t have any rust. Chevettes are like other GM vehicles and are amenable to engine swaps (I’m thinking add a turbo).

Minus. Actually being in good condition militates against using it as a project. I have a line on a VERY rare GM MPG effort from the 70s. A 1979 Olds Cutlass with a 260 diesel V-8 and 5 speed manual. Only twenty were made. Guy wants $11,000 for it (3 times sticker). Its in fabulous shape for a 79. Texas car. Garage kept bought from an estate auction. Probably 34-35 MPG as she sets. But you really couldn’t do a project with a car this pristine, despite having outstanding possibilities. Would you repaint the Mona Lisa because you prefer blondes?

The other minus is 36 HP. This car is useless for anything but slow driving. A city car as much as a straight battery car. Even if you modified it to be aerodynamically slicker than the basjoos-mobile, it still could not compete on the Interstates I have to drive every day.

Sometimes, they are too nice.
It would go 75mph-80mph....how fast did you want to go??

You could just never slow down once you got up to that speed

I would have made you a deal if I would have known you were interested. I think some tasteful mods could have been done (as in, no duct tape and cardboard) to preserve it's looks, yet enhance it's aero.

Anyhoo, I still dig the big ol trucks...mine got 24mpg on it's latest run...at 70-75mph