View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
brickinthewind
Rapidly Evolving Driver

Brick House - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 36.44 mpg (US)
Neil, that's no bueno. I read a little bit about them but didn't see any reports of that happening. I could see why, with a flexible steel wheel and a non-flexible wheel cover. Hope I can find some way to keep them secured.

Darrell, fixed, thanks. I'm very surprised you're not losing mileage on the 205s, a wider, flatter tire. I switched to my original "tuner" tires and wheels just to wear them out earlier this year and couldn't get above 34mpg or so. They wore out, so the Goodyear LRR tires went back on. I would still say when those wear out for you you could get a few more MPGs out of the OEM wheels and tire size, LRR tires or no. I just don't see how they couldn't help you - it must be your technique that's getting better!

I use the Rev app on iPhone (for long trips I try to set up the iPad in the car with the Rev app since it's easier to read but it's a hassle to install and I won't leave it in the car) and the Kiwi Wifi adapter. I don't leave the Kiwi in the car at all times since I don't drive to work (mostly just drive on my weekends) so sometimes I forget the Kiwi when I'm going out to the car. It drains the batter if left in and turned on so I don't want to come out to a dead battery like some have because they forgot to turn off their Kiwi.

I'll have to check out more of your posts for technique! If I know I'm going to be up in Sac I might give you some notice and try to stop by. My new latest tricks are EOC when entering a parking lot when I know where my space is going to be and choosing a space that lets me stop quickly and turn off the engine. That and EOC on off ramps when no one is behind me, and EOC when approaching a red light I expect will keep me stopped for 30 sec or more.