View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
XmodAlloy
EcoModding Lurker

Need help insuring my 1994 Geo Metro conversion.

Hello everyone, I am Donovan Gibson and I have been converting my 1994 Geo Metro to electric power for the past year and a half and I have finally gotten it almost road worthy with one major hiccup. The insurance companies I have tried calling are denying me insurance on my car due to the fact I converted it myself. I would like input on what insurance companies you guys have found to be cooperative, I really want to get on the road soon!
The specs on my car are planned to be:
144 volt system using a slightly modified Open Revolt controller I bought from Paul and Sabrina (Thank you so much for your controller and the support on it!)
and an archaic Baker Electric 12 inch diameter forklift motor, original clutch and transmission. I am not using a solenoid contactor, instead I am using a small switch (which turns on the pre-charge resistor on and off) and a large Anderson connector (which I manually plug in) attached to the center console, this doubles as an emergency disconnect as well (which I did have to use one a recent test drive).
Currently (No pun intended) the car is at a local garage getting the breaks fixed, so I cannot take pictures of the mods I did to the controller yet, will hopefully get them taken on Monday and make a new thread on my changing the power side to be able to take 800 Amps (Component wise), need to figure out how to change the firmware to make use of that though.
I appreciate any input on any of the things I listed, especially the insurance issue.
Happy Ecomodding!!!
-Donovan Gibson