View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #55 (permalink)
PeterS
Master EcoModder

Yella Peril - '80 Mercedes 240D sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post

This is just a kinda strange way to say that even if a design has proper tail area to weathervane into a side wind the way we like it to, if the wind suddenly stops or reverses the driver will not be oblivious to it; he'll feel it in the steering and/or the way the bike tilts.

In that last bit he's talking about how much boattailing the bodywork should have when viewed from above i.e. "plan view". And he's saying there shouldn't be any boattailing in that dimension or else it will separate, which I am not believing.

Craig reports good handling dynamics; there's another guy on here that's ridden Craig's scooter too and IIRC he said it was good. Allert reports good stability with his design too. So the bottom line is, if you believe these guys (I do) then you can have a full bodied bike with good manners. BTW Craig's bodywork is very much boattailed in plan view so where does that leave the Voyager guy?
Here's the Voyager from the rear,it certainly isn't particularly aerodynamic !

and Craig's .Those comments about his handling in turbulence are very welcome .Building a body is going to be a big job and I'd like to get the thing half decent to start with .