View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
What kind of Lead Acid batteries are you considering? Do you have any model numbers or specs on them?
I'm not very picky. I expect that it will be a mix of whatever is traded in and has not been sent to the recycler. Some of them will have enough life left to help me. Some will not and I'll get them traded back. Sorry - no part numbers.

Quote:
Lead is heavy to start with ... and Lead usually doesn't like high Amp current rates very much either ... plus the Peukert effects of the harder you push them the less you get out of them ... if you are pushing them too hard they might not have a very long service life under the stress either.
I agree. I don't know much about fork trucks or their batteries. I heard from the service guy I was talking to that they get traded in when they won't last a shift, or half a shift. He said that there is still some life in them when they are traded in for the core charge.

Quote:
What kind of motor is it? Do you have any model numbers or specs? ...
It is a GE industrial motor, 575V, three phase, medium efficiency, rated 1766 rpm at 36.8 amps. Class B insulation (affects maximum temperature), service factor 1.15. Totally enclosed, fan cooled. This thing weighs a lot - maybe 500 lbs? I'm not really worried about this motor overheating. It will take a lot more abuse than I can dish out.

Quote:
If the only reason to need this step up to 900V is to use the VFD as a motor controller ... than we can look at other motor controller prices ... which will put a cap on what the VFD + Inverters would have to be under to be a cost effective alternative.
The VFD is quite a bit over-sized. It is an Allen Bradley 1336 Plus II (circa 1998) rated at 302A, 150% for 30 seconds.