View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Loaning out your high MPG car

I know some folks on here don't like letting their spouse drive their car because it looks poorly on their gas log, but what about loaning others your car because it's going to get better mileage then their other options?
I'm thinking about this because I haven't seen my Civic VX in 3 days, a friend of mine took it to a family event that is about 200 miles away and their two options were an Acura Integra (25-30mpg) that has 350,000 miles on it and a few issues or a Chevy S-10, also with a few issues and is at best getting 25mpg, my last few tanks of gas were 50 to 55mpg and I didn't need to go any place that was out of the 35 mile range of my little electric car this weekend so it seemed like the best way to save gas was to let them take my car, right?
It's along the same idea of a shared pickup truck, not everyone needs a truck so if you have a pickup truck why not loan it out to those who need it so they don't have to pay for gas, upkeep and so on on the beast and if they are nice folks they return it with a full tank of gas and maybe some beer or cookies.