View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 11:58 AM   #51 (permalink)
pascha
Old Skool h-miler

First, I do some of the things on the list already, but I learned several new tricks to employ. #42 really made me think about my cruise control use. I thought that the cruise control was automatically better than foot driving. I hadn't really considered the hills! Great compilation! I might print it out and keep it in the car.

Quote:
My dad used to "drive straight" He would pick a point in the distance then drive to it. Kept down the amount of wandering in his lane he did. Cut down the mileage from the wandering too.
This reminds of something I do when driving on the Interstate. I often drive a 100 mile Interstate (I26 in SC) run between where I live and Columbia. It is the most boring stretch of pine trees in the world, I think! Anyway, lots of time to think and optimize mileage.

What I call "Straight Driving" is a little different and won't necessarily increase MPG. It will reduce the miles, time on the road and gasoline burned somewhat. How much depends on how curvy the road is. The Interstate is the ideal practice point for this, because it is always =>2 lanes and the curves are burmed, so curves won't be too hard on you. Safety, of course, comes first and you shouldn't 'cut' anyone off or hold up traffic.

What I do is attempt to straighten the curves out by taking the inside lane of curves. This requires some extra lane changes, so be careful and it is a lot easier when there aren't many cars on the road. If you hug the inside of the curve, you are reducing the distance you have to drive, much like the 'racing line' approach to turns.