View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
I've always been curious to see what the bike would give numbers wise in a good state of tune, without any pollution control, and with a racing exhaust and carb.

SSSSIIIIINNNNNCCCCEEEEEE we have been led to believe, OK, LIED to, that all that emissions crap on cars is needed.
yes we have been lied to, i am no conspiracy theorist on this regard either.
There are simple reasons why cars have the emissions stuff.

The truth is cars can be built (like the honda insight or earlier lean burn cars) to get excellent FE and have excellent emissions without really needing a CAT.

however legally now days you need it even if you have an EXPENSIVE highly controlled efficient lean burn engine because the law says you do. This is generally to cater to California due to NOX, and yes billy you do get better FE running lean and on this regard i disagree strongly with the government.

I like you would argue that if a motor is well controlled, emits very little overall pollution by volume it should be exempt from being required to have certain emissions controls systems, assuming it gets very high FE and passes emissions on its own (i think the volume of the different types of pollution though should be what is regulated, not the quality of it).

however, I am uncertain if your motorcycle would be capable of that, most vehicles that exceed emissions without a cat are relatively robust designs. Though honda did it 20 years ago, our big 3 usually can't because it costs a little more to do.

Cheers
Ryan