View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
. . .
Except when I lifted off, the pedal stayed down and the car continued to gain speed. I pushed hard on the pedal the first time and it popped up, the car regained control. I pulled over and checked for obstructions - mats etc. but there wasn't any - we do have some on order for winter.

The car behaved until I parked again and then shortly after I set off and repeated the acceleration / lift-off operation the car continued to accelerate again. Pushing and releasing the throttle pedal freed it up again.
. . .
Any ideas ?
Your symptom, the pedal physically remaining down, is consistent with some interference. Here in the USA, we had a recall of accelerators in the NHW20 because of poor quality of the accelerator assembly. The fix was to put in a 'shim' and I remember something about trimming the accelerator.

First, I would recommend seeing if you can replicate the problem at will and then demonstrating it to your local Toyota dealer. But do treat it as a serious issue.

The accelerator assembly has no external, mechanical connections. Whatever is bad is within the assembly. So try pushing the accelerator (car off) and rotate the center of pressure in a circular pattern. Of course, try to use the same shoes but don't be afraid to take the shoe off and use a stocking or bare foot to feel for any binding.

What about the weather at the time? In particular temperature and humidity.

Are there an 'unusual' soil, dust or dirt in your area?

Had the car been in use before the 'sticky pedal' or was this after some "n" estimated minutes or miles?

This is the 1.8L Prius? The reason I ask is I've bought a used, NHW20 accelerator assembly but haven't taken it apart, yet.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson
The Following User Says Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (09-27-2011)