View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
suspectnumber961
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru View Post
Thats pretty sweet, i crawled under my focus the other day to see how feasible a belly pan was and noticed except for the rear its not "too bad" under the car. I still want to really smooth it out but the rear would probably benefit the most.
Under the front on mine(style is a little different on the 05?)...the OEM dam is about 5" above the general undercarriage. This area under the engine and trans allows air to directly hit the oil pan and trans pan and assorted "stuff"...likely causing a lot of turbulence to the rear. Once past the engine...things look pretty smooth...except right at the back near the bumper....but the bumper is above the rest of the undercarriage...so it shouldn't catch air much. *After looking at it again...guess things are pretty sloppy in front of the rear axle too.

Might install some kind of deflector in front of the tires on both sides....thinking of angling them so the air is routed out to the sides.

As far as weight...it isn't real light....maybe 15 lbs or so. But unlike plastic it won't deform with heat....and is strong enough to handle snow...etc. 1/4" plywood might work OK...but it's hard to find it with outdoor type glue.

I'm going to close off the upper opening in the front like you did...and maybe some of the lower area temporarily during the winter.

Actually installed it...no issues on a 65F day with the wood getting too hot near the cat and exhaust. It does decrease the ground clearance by maybe 1/2" or so at the back.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL

Last edited by suspectnumber961; 09-27-2011 at 03:47 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to suspectnumber961 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-11-2012)