View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
JoJotheTireMan
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Davis View Post
I am sorry, but I do not see how this would create any amount of gain, either FE or VE?

With reed valves the "compression" cylinders would create something less than twice their normal four-stroke displacement, and the actual mass of that displacement would net effectively less than indicated. The once-handled intake charge suffers thermal and flow losses from the "compression" cylinders so it is thinner and contains less air mass. You make less power than if the engine was kept stock, since less than 2 time 1/2 the engine does not equal 1.

Forced induction creates a higher thermal load, requiring a richer mixture at WOT to deal with combustion temperatures. See also: required ignition retard under boost. The system dynamics are awkward, wasteful, and not given to efficiency. FI is a power adder that increases VE at the expense of consuming more fuel; it is not an efficiency device.
The idea of the reed valves would just remove the valve train frictional losses for my 2 air pump cylinders, keep in mind they will only go through 2 strokes, intake, exhaust, intake, exhaust, etc.

I agree with all your input on forced induction characteristics, but my real quetion is this:
which would be more efficient for a commuter car
a NA 4 banger 2.0L
or a supercharged 1.0L?

You said:
"You make less power than if the engine was kept stock, since less than 2 time 1/2 the engine does not equal 1."

I agree, and that is the point here. I am only out to make slightly more power than 1/2 the engine would make.
I am not after a net gain here, I am after a net loss!
Less HP/TQ will require less fuel to achieve, no?

I just don't think shutting down 2 jugs would work as the car would not have enough power as a 1L even if I could eliminate the rotating mass of the unused 2, I just figured turn them into 2 stroke air pumps and see if you can get a little more power out of the remaining 2 compared to what they would make by themselves, not compared to the original 2.0L.

Does that explain how it would be a move for FE? A slightly boosted 1L would use less fuel, and yes make less HP and TQ, than my stock 2.0L, no?

Thanks for the feedback, it's all good, keeps me thinking.
JoJo