View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
JoJotheTireMan
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
Why do that but not futz around with gearing? Iono how forced induction would action, but at most there would be a minimal drop in BSFC, and you could achieve similar for the most part with the right size wheel/tire combo and maybe a fifth swap depending on what 020 you have. There's no need to drop power output for economy for most engines below 3-4L IMO.
Gearing, yes I do have an 020, and I already have a .715:1 TDI 5th gear machined with the groove so it works in my trans. .75:1 was also an option over my stock .80:1.

You know of any 5th gear sets taller than those?

I can't change the R&P as there is no way to recalibrate vehicle speed sensor if I do that and still retain the stock ECU. That would be my prefferred way to gear taller, that way all gears get taller, but oh well I spend most of my miles in 5th anyways, so for $100 for the TDI 5th machined and delivered to me with tools for the install I couldn't beat it for the "bang for the buck" factor as far as gearing is concerned.

I ride motorcycles too, and swapping sprockets rocks, all gears get longer/shorter. Hell I have had my old 87 XR250 geared so tall that you had to be going 55+mph to even think of shifting into 6th gear, all the while I could cruise at low RPMS on secondary highways at 60+mph and get 75+ mpg!

Keep the comments coming, they keep my brain working.
JoJo