View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tango Charlie
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputernerdBD View Post
Cruise control is detrimental to your mileage
*How so?

*I was thinking of Grizzly Grip since they have bedliner without rubber for texture. Might make the truck smooth with it since it is easier to apply than regular paint.

*Grillblock? Won't that overheat the engine and block the trans cooler?
Cruise control is not detrimental to your mileage per se, it's just not as efficient as some other techniques, such as DWL or P&G. However, CC will net you better mileage than if you drive "normal" on longer trips. DWL will wear you out on longer trips, so CC becomes a second best choice. I use CC extensively. Could I get better mileage? Yup, no doubt. If I were younger, or more motivated, or more anal, I would DWL all the time instead of using CC.

Bedliner; the small amount of texture won't have any measurable affect. The boundary layer is way too thick even at highway speeds for the air to "see" it. Same goes for washing/waxing.

Grille block; I would suggest progressively blocking the grille until there's just enough cooling capability. I'm not familiar with Car PC. Does it read out coolant temperature? If it does, use that to determine how much of the grille you can block.