View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
ComputernerdBD
EcoModding Lurker

USS Enterprise-D - '98 GMC Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Cruise control is not detrimental to your mileage per se, it's just not as efficient as some other techniques, such as DWL or P&G. However, CC will net you better mileage than if you drive "normal" on longer trips. DWL will wear you out on longer trips, so CC becomes a second best choice. I use CC extensively. Could I get better mileage? Yup, no doubt. If I were younger, or more motivated, or more anal, I would DWL all the time instead of using CC.

Bedliner; the small amount of texture won't have any measurable affect. The boundary layer is way too thick even at highway speeds for the air to "see" it. Same goes for washing/waxing.

Grille block; I would suggest progressively blocking the grille until there's just enough cooling capability. I'm not familiar with Car PC. Does it read out coolant temperature? If it does, use that to determine how much of the grille you can block.
I use cruise mainly once I get on a straight and level interstate highway and that is when I usually get my personal best mileage.

What is DWL?

Bedliner: Ok. But I did email Grizzly Grip to ask them if they sell it without rubber so I can make the car slick smooth while protecting the truck from the elements.

Car PC is currently not interfaced with the OBDII connection. I have to get the USB adapter to hook up to the car's PCM to get the data off of it. Right now, all it does is navigation (backup since I have a dashboard GPS), music, internet (whether I tether or use Wifi) or anything that Windows XP can do. Only real "computer" that reads vehicle data is the factory trip computer that does MPG, gallons used, instant economy, temperature, compass and average speed. I normally reset it every time I fill the tank along with the trip odometer.