View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamIan View Post
... and with that many inverters you could power a whole house from your battery pack in case of power outages... ~30kw of Inverter AC is well over 200 amps of house 120 level AC ...
The modified sine wave inverters don't have a way to synchronize with each other. There would be lots of runtime on a single inverter, which could run the furnace, the water pump, the fridge, the deep freeze and maybe a few lights.

Quote:
Sorry ... I don't see this setup of batteries and components getting you ~15kwh to the wheels in ~40 minutes or less.
I think you are right. And as has been mentioned, a DC system would work well and could have the range that I need, but I won't be setting up a DC EV system. I'll work on the AC system with a bunch of old junk that costs me nothing, or almost nothing, and see what I can learn.

Quote:
Or get some tested numbers on batteries that have more than ~180Ah @12V @ ~150 Pounds @the Discharge Rate you are aiming for ( not at some ~20 Hour Rate )
I don't want to marginalize the batteries. They appear to be the center of the system, and the rest of the system revolves around them. They weigh as much as the rest of the truck, you need to build big sturdy boxes for them and they have to be connected properly, charged, and maintained.

They are just not very interesting compared to tuning the VFD, measuring the torque produced, estimating acceleration, trading off the size of the motor versus weight versus temperature rise and reduced life of the electric motor, driving the instrument cluster, etc. A couple of people are using industrial motors and controllers, but there is not a lot of real-world data out there (that I can find, anyway).

I am not a die-hard EV fan. If I have to add a 10 - 20 HP Briggs and Stratton engine to make some electricity to extend the range of whatever I come up with - that's also an option. Less gas is not my issue. Less cost would be nice, but again is not the issue. Understanding what is going on and troubleshooting myself is my goal. I *HATE* paying mechanics to connect a computer to my car and say 'I need to replace the Oxygen sensor'. But you just did that a month ago. What's causing the problem? 'Uh - the computer says I need to replace the Oxygen sensor - that'll be $600'.

If I ever get off my butt and build something, I'll start a build thread and I'm sure there will be much further discussion, about many things.