View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
FXSTi
EcoModding Apprentice

Grasshopper - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
Team Ford
90 day: 50.37 mpg (US)

Feejer - '09 Yamaha FJR1300 AE
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.73 mpg (US)
Please allow me to introduce myself

I'm a man of wealth and taste (sorry couldn't help myself.)

Thought I should do an intro. I've looked over the site a few times in the last couple of years. I finally joined a couple weeks ago. Never really planned to post just want to lurk more efficiently.

At the end of August I started attending a college (I'm old) about 55 miles from home. I realized before school started that my F-15 crew cab was not going to be affordable driving this route four days a week. I traded her in on a 2011 ford fiesta.

I have put on over 5000 miles in the last month and ten days and I don't see any sign of stopping. I finally decided to start hypermiling after the first tank of gas. Thus far my lifetime mpg sits at 42.65 mpg with this car including the first tank @ 34.34 mpg. I probably should not include that tank in my average since it was a dealer fill up and I have no idea if it was actually full.

So anyway, you folks have inspired me to do my first ecomod and I snapped a picture which I will try to post here.
Oop can't post images yet.
Any way I made some Grill Blockers.

There are some gaps, they still need paint and zip ties but I figure with Michigan's winter coming up I'm going to want to keep the temps up. They are made from some aluminum flashing I had laying around and I just eyeballed the cuts. I may end up doing the upper grill too.

Now for a newbie question. I have been looking at adding the engine block (freeze plug) heater that Ford offers standard in certain cold weather states. It seems a bit pricey plus installation will add even more. What other ways can I heat the motor while parked in my detached, unheated garage?

I think I'm going to go update my profile now.

Thanks,
Kirk