View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Fr3AkAzOiD
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
Sorry if I'm bringing back a dead post but I'm currently trying to find a way to reduce my brake drag and Google poped this post up.
I'm starting with my front disks and will worry about my rear drums later.
There was a lot of talk in this thread but no numbers.

Only thing I have is that when jacked up spinning either of my two front wheels as fast as I can by hand they will only make it 3/4 of a turn once I let go of them.

I removed the brake caliper and pads and put the wheel back on and started spinning them again. They would make it 1&1/2 rotations and were much easier to start spinning.

Nothing is wrong with the brake system in my car so it's not an issue of a part that needs to be replaced.

I'm looking for sugestions, I know a small amt of drag is required for safty but i'd like to be able to get an extra 1/4 - 1/2 rotation out of the tires if spinning by hand.

I'm just getting into learning about cars so when I read a lot of do it yourself guides online I tend to get lost at times if they aren't detailed enough.
I heard in a few that there is some sort of square rubber seal that should pull back the brake caliper when you take your foot off the brake pedal. I also heard that you can get a slightly larger one to pull the brakes back a bit further. Anyone have any info or pics of this and if it's possible?

Also somone mentioned hooking up a spring to pull the brakes back when not in use. Anyone have any info on how something like that would be set up.

2012 mpg