View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #30 (permalink)
Toby
downhill both ways

Terceleporter - '96 Toyota Tercel STD
90 day: 52.6 mpg (US)
Deer Collision

Ten days ago, the Tercel struck a deer at 56 mph. My wife, a friend, and myself were in the car. All were unharmed. Thankfully, the damage could have been a lot worse. After an examination, I drove the car another 10 miles until it lost enough coolant to begin overheating. I did not see the deer before, during, or after the collision. The Tercel brought home a small bit of venison on the point of the fender. I hope the deer did not suffer long.

The Tercel lost its AC condenser, high pressure AC line, passenger headlight and corner light, radiator, and AC fan. The passenger fender was pretty bent, and the hood crumpled badly. The biggest pain in the neck has been trying to bend the member that locates the headlights, radiator, and hood latch back into shape. I have removed the AC compressor and high pressure line, and disconnected the accessory belt again. I think I will finally commit to looping the power steering at the rack and removing the rest of the system. I just can't justify the bucks it will take to get the AC working again.

The silver lining is that the Terceleporter has passed into completely disreputable territory. Even if I spring for a new hood, I'm not going to be doing any paint matching. I'm not ruling out drilling holes in body panels now. I was working on front wheel skirts before the accident. I think more dramatic aero treatment is now a possibility.

Other good news is that my wife and I bought our first house three months ago. I hit the jackpot in the garage department.