View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
blownb310
Master EcoModder

Saab EV - '19 Chevy Bolt EV LT

Pierre - '07 ZENN MC2 Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Can you please show an image of your wheels turned ?
I'm sorry Cd, I haven't taken any. But essentially if I would have, they would look like this:

After fabricating them and rushing them onto the car [at 4:00 am the morning of the event] there was no time to test them. So on my way to the event later that morning, I heard something flapping going straight down the highway at 55 mph. I leaned out my window and saw that air pressure had pulled open the leading edge of [I assume both of them] and overpowered the forward bungy cords. Mine do not have a frame [like Darin made on his Firefly as seen below].

.....so on the side of the road, I simply applied a strip of duct tape to seal the front edges.

For the rest of the day I simply did not turn sharply enough to have forced the tape to let go. They rub a bit in tighter corners but evidently there is enough flex in them that they absorb the push without deformation. So then I stopped worrying about it as I was not having any issues, even after negotiating three sharp hairpin turns coming down Mt. Greylock during the Tri-State event. Lug-Nut [Jonathan] suggested that I could have installed the front fairings inside of the side panel's wheel openings, instead of on the outside like I did. That would have lessened the amount of clearance so I'm not sure it would have worked for me.

Remember that all of this is temporary and will come back off in a couple of weeks.

I've purchased a '97 Metro and will start [more permanent] efforts over again with it the spring.

Last edited by blownb310; 10-10-2011 at 10:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to blownb310 For This Useful Post:
Cd (10-05-2011)