View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #35 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD View Post
Sorry if I'm bringing back a dead post but I'm currently trying to find a way to reduce my brake drag and Google poped this post up.
I'm starting with my front disks and will worry about my rear drums later.
There was a lot of talk in this thread but no numbers.

Only thing I have is that when jacked up spinning either of my two front wheels as fast as I can by hand they will only make it 3/4 of a turn once I let go of them.

I removed the brake caliper and pads and put the wheel back on and started spinning them again. They would make it 1&1/2 rotations and were much easier to start spinning.

Nothing is wrong with the brake system in my car so it's not an issue of a part that needs to be replaced.

I'm looking for sugestions, I know a small amt of drag is required for safty but i'd like to be able to get an extra 1/4 - 1/2 rotation out of the tires if spinning by hand.

I'm just getting into learning about cars so when I read a lot of do it yourself guides online I tend to get lost at times if they aren't detailed enough.
I heard in a few that there is some sort of square rubber seal that should pull back the brake caliper when you take your foot off the brake pedal. I also heard that you can get a slightly larger one to pull the brakes back a bit further. Anyone have any info or pics of this and if it's possible?

Also somone mentioned hooking up a spring to pull the brakes back when not in use. Anyone have any info on how something like that would be set up.
Take the front brake pads out and the wheels will still not turn much more than before. The drag is primarily in your differential and transmission output shaft.

regards
Mech