View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Fr3AkAzOiD
Ecomodder

Cobalt XFE - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)

'05 Malibu V6 Tow Vehicle/Track Car - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS V6
90 day: 23.12 mpg (US)

'08 XFE average for 2013 - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
90 day: 41.1 mpg (US)
*sigh*

Ok, was driving home from work, had been doing 45 mph for around 30 miles and hadn't touched the brakes for a least 10 miles.
There is an intersection at the top of a hill and the side street is a business park so it's empty at night.

I slow down going up the hill then take the turn and drop to second gear and once my speed drops into the teens I use e-brake to stop.

I check rotors with the back of my hand and don't feel any heat.
Feeling a bit foolish I touch the rotor, stone cold.
Check both inside and outside of both front rotors and it's the same deal.

So I figured that once the car gets warmed up maybe the brakes aren't dragging.
I get home and immediately jack the front of the car up and give one of my front wheels a spin.

Same 0.75 rotation.

I am left baffled...

Friction creates heat.
The brake drag makes enough friction to cut their spin amount by 50%.
Then after going 45 mph for 30 miles the brake pads should be hot or at least warm.

*idea*

I have a slight down slope from my garage to the end of my driveway. I'm thinking of just doing a couple of drift runs and timing how long it takes to get 1/2 down my driveway and then pulling the front brakes and doing it again and using the e-brake to stop.
I doubt I'll be going any more then 10 mph so it shouldn't be a problem.

That way if it's only like a 5% difference I'll just forget about it but if it's 10%+ it will be worth looking into.

Problem being this would be the third day I have had off that I ended up playing grease monkey and I think I've pushed that bit far enough with the misses.
This may have to wait a week.

Anyone see any dangers is doing this?
Obviously I would do 2 or 3 dry runs with the brakes in place using e-brake to stop just to make sure.

2012 mpg