View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

bike free reving on hills: HELP!!!!!!!

1983 Honda Silverwing Interstate full dresser/shaft 650 (673!)

Owned the bike about 3 yrs., not even taken on 1 long overnight trip yet.

Has about 18K or so.

A few months ago, on a long uphill grade where I was hoping to maintain a steady 50mph., part way up the bike slipped revved up about 1000, to 1,200 rpms higher temporarily until I backed off the throttle to compensate, thusly losing speed to about 42mph. when regrip of top gear w normal rpm's appeared under lighter right hand.

It started at first only on very steep hills w moderate to low (lugging?) rpms.

Now, even on a fast entry 55mph on flat to a quite moderate hill, it's slipping along with my piece of mind.

This is my 2nd Silverwing w shaft. Unfortunately with my 1st, I experienced total failure on a trip. Before the trip, I had a bike shop put a new rear tire on. They did not refill the shaft differential level, so it wore on a skeleton plate, where the gears are supposed to match up to.
Bike too old for that fresh part, they found a used one good enough to get me 400 freeway miles home.

2nd Silverwing was owned before me by one who used regular car oil in it instead of motorcycle oil. Very early on, I had my shop drain and refill w fresh diff. fluid NEVER wanting that problem again.

Everybody tells me that they have NEVER seen problems w shaft bikes, supposedly bullet proof.

I'm just a bit paranoid now! I'm trying to keep three cars, and 3 bikes going on 16 months being out of work. I just put a new rear tire on my CB400; had $250. work done on my 250 Enduro. The seasonal rains have returned, so for most, motorcycle season is over.

I'm not much of a wrench. Could just the clutch be slipping, and it's not shaft related at all? Can a simple adjustment of some kind be the cure?
A new clutch? I can relate to car clutches more. What (how deep) is involved w that $$$ wise, especially w a shop's $70. + an hr. rates?

Thanks for any feedback; I wish I could find a kit to make it a belt drive!