View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
peterj
EcoModding Lurker

dcb: Many thanks for the MAF clarification. I read somewhere that MAF was a part of the baseline requirements of OBD-II, but perhaps it has only been a requirement since year 2000.

Following your link, I eventually wound up at Bruce Lightners's post on the mp3car forums, where he explains how to calculate MPG on cars without MAF. He also indicates that MAF is much more accurate than I thought, and MPG calculations from MAF do not require calibration.

Although I do not have a ScanGuage II, I have read the owners manual as well as many of the posts about it, and now I think I've got a pretty good idea of what's going on inside.

I'm also aware of the mess of OBD, but what I'm trying to do is to try to get some kind of handle on just how useful the data is once you actually have it.

There is no question that for the gearhead, FI+VSS is the way to go. However, the average Joe is looking at several hours of shop labor (at $50 or more an hour) to get a working system installed. An OBD device can be easily shared among family and friends.