View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #213 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
What is the goal of the run ? To get the top speed of the truck with the aeromods ? Couldn't you get a good estimate of that by finding the Cd of the rig ?
Also, what about swapping out the gears for a short course ?

Eventhough you might not get to the trucks top speed, wouldn't the information from a mile run be helpful to estimate some sort of acceleration curve ? At the very least it would be a fun day at the track !

What about the A2 tunnel ?
From what i have read in the past, there is always a huge waiting list for testing at the large scale tunnels. Texas Tech has one, but im not sure its large enough to fit a full size vehicle.
And $2,000 an hour ? I thought it was many times greater than that - if they even let individual hobbyist in. You are referring to the A2 - no ?
Why not save some serious money and hassle and drop by the A2 ?
A2WT HomePage

I'd love to see your truck and the AeroCivic tested here. That would be awesome.
*Top speed for the rig will allow reverse-engineering of the Cd.It must be the terminal velocity to work.
*MPG numbers will help me learn the Cd also if I can account for wind,grades,weather,etc..Real rocket science!
* I'm not willing to change anything about the rig except the shape.It can be the only variable.Otherwise I'll never be able to figure anything out.
*Acceleration data won't help
*Not to be disrespectful,but I would have to seriously investigate the A2 Tunnel before I would be comfortable trusting their numbers.The test section does not respect blockage effect parameters.
*The Texas Tech tunnel is for scale models only,nothing full-scale.
*I think someone posted an article about GM renting out their tunnel at $2,000/hour.That would be cheap! Lockheed Marietta was $1,800/hr in 1991 when I went by there on the way home from the Chrysler Proving Grounds.