View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
afahey
EcoModding Lurker

Chippy - '93 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 36.04 mpg (US)
So the road trip is over and as far as mileage goes I beat my goal of 40mpg, and got 41.1mpg. But there was an issue around mile 246. The engine started to over heat. My temp gauge was at 3/4 hot. I was cruising at 60mph when this happened. I turned on the heater to max but it was way to hot to ride around like that. I had to pull the grill blockers. As soon as I pulled the grill blockers the temp dropped back down to its normal level of 1/4 on the temp gauge. Chippy was fine the rest of the trip. The outside temperature was 70f with no humidity when my temp gauge spiked. Has this happened to any one ells who has used grill blockers?
As far as drive techniques go I coasted down every hill in neutral and I drove bare foot using my big to to press the accelerator. I think the big toe really helped me feel the accelerator better then when I was wearing the shoes.
Over all experience was 50/50, yeah I beat my target mpg, but at the cost of over heating my engine may not be worth it. For now the grill blockers are staying off.