View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Well, the first step for me is to find out whether the fan is actually running "excessivly" or not. By that I mean, is it running anytime when I wouldn't want it to be on. That goes back to my original question. Before I fiddle with anything, I want to know how much room there is for improvement. If the ECM is already doing a fairly decent job, then it's not worth messing with.

Slowmover, here's just a thought for you. Could you replace your mechanical clutch with an electrical one rather than going with a entirely electric fan? The challenge as I see it with that though would be controlling it (since your ECM isn't set up to do it). Of course you probably could do it with a manual switch all the time but that would be a pain (and a risk that you might forget it). Here's another option though: those electric fans must have some type of controller, so maybe you could use the controller from an electrical fan and put it on an electrical clutch. Just a thought. And keep in mind that electrical stuff isn't my strong suit.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html