View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
As long as it is illegal for the EPA to test with anything but test grade Gasoline we won't see legitimate EPA scores for E85.

GM is advertising almost the same MPG in their new Regal compared to 15% loss for old FFVs. And I have heard that of some people getting 15% less...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper Tdiesel View Post
an engine made for 93 octane and e85 would be a much better set up

making one that runs on 87 and E85 makes no real since. it runs like poooo on E85 in regards to MPGs

ive thought about it but haven't, since i have diesel and beat the gas by-far.

low compression say around 8 to 1 with boost. that would let you run 89 or 93 octane when needed.
or high compression like 11 to 1 mabe a little more, and just barely run on 89 or 93 with out pinging.
10:1 is more like it today with DI.

It's a great idea though, I believe BMW did a study and found that Premium was worth 3% more power and MPG hence why they build for Premium. With Gas over $3 it would be worth it for more manufacturers to start doing that. And then they would do better on E50 or other midblends, making a good compromise for a FFV.

I wish Ford would get behind that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I wish "they" would stop mandating the wasteful practice of putting good ethanol into a fuel tank, but I guess there aren't enough alcoholics to drink it all. If they ran E0 only, the cost of everything would be lower.
There is actually a state by state exemption. Iowa for example offers Gasoline next to Gasohol(E10) according to some of the guys in Iowa. Probably something to look into and push. This mandating Ethanol is pissing people off more than anything. I say at least make it optional!